***Re: Nine foot something - quickie hammer centre check

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 18:57:58 -0000

Hello List and Keith R who said:
"The pinning was a no brainer, it was all bad. I did it in three hours =
last night.
 What is that black stuff? The pin isn't corroded. "=20
    The only "black stuff" I know of in pianos is Black Lead which =
burnishes to a shine and is thickly applied with a brush from a bottle. =
Usually to Jack Tops and Toes for low friction.
"I go with a four gram flange friction target. Is there any advantage to =
having the friction of the flange change with the weight of the hammer? =
Maybe in the bass it should be a little tighter, more stress."
    I go for complete uniformity of friction. Any differentiation to be =
applied by regulation and part sizes/weights and/or spring =
sizes/tensions.

Regards
Michael G (UK)