parts nomenclature

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 06:58:18 -0600

David,

>    Sounds good, & fun, but a bit off topic in that it's not discussion of
>everyday piano servicing and rebuilding which is the main reason for this
>list, but I suppose if we always mark it OT or SOT (somewhat off topic) or
>RT (related topic) or ???

How can an effort to facilitate accurate communication be off topic??!!!

>    One way of going about this would be to have a beefeater and an Aussie
>go through the Schaff or old APSCO catalog item by item and write down any
>terms that are different in the UK.  And vice versa -- have a Yank go
>through a British catalog -- surely there is one / are some?   This wouldn't
>cover many of the everyday tools that are common to many trades (saws,
>screwdrivers, pliers, etc.), but a tool supply catalog could be used for
>that.

Kind of already been done, at least for piano parts.

Nikolaus Schimmel/H.K.Herzog  "Nomenclatur".  I have Edition 2, 1983.

In it are very detailed drawings with circles and arrows and occasional
paragraphs further back, along with SIX columns of names for stuff.

deutsch - English GB/USA - français - italiano - norsk - español

-also-

I have the old (pre-Renner-USA) Renner Hauptkatalog which has
English/German/French for parts  _and_ tools.

So...

The information IS out there... somewhere...

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder