Nine foot something - quickie hammer centre check

Wed, 10 Mar 2004 09:43:45 -0000

Hello List and Keith R
I must say here "Mind Your Back!" One way I use, where applicable, to =
check whether the Hammer Flange Centres are stiff or not in a grand... =
Pull the action out of the piano. Unscrew all the Hammer Rail retaining =
screws (making sure you know which screws went into which hole :-) . =
Pull up all the hammers until they stick upright - or past upright. =
Remove the Hammer Rail with all hammers attached. Swing the hammers on =
the Hammer Rail. You can either fix one end of the rail in a vise and do =
the hammers individually or just hang onto the rail and watch the =
hammers swing. Mark the slow ones - I use a mini square of masking tape =
for this. The required amount of swing is 2 1/2 swings starting from a 3 =
o'clock position.
Regards from Sussex
Michael G (UK)