Steinberg baby grand

Tue, 09 Mar 2004 17:52:17 +0100

Hi folks

I ran into a little novelty today I thought I'd throw out at you.
Instrument was named Steinberg. A smallish baby grand rather trashed..
bad cracking in the soundboard including what apparently was a steep
compression mound along both sides of a rather minor crack, and to other
  cracks that looked to be strictly tension cracks.

Action was in poor condition but playable, and oddly enough the piano
was at 440 and relatively easy to tune... good rendering, good
stability.  Sounded really thin tho.

Two oddities about this piano. The shift pedal shifted the action
(Langer) from right to left instead of the usual left to right. I have
no idea why ...  And there were 8 glide bolts, not in the actionframe
but imbedded into the keybed... 4 for the balance rail and 4 under the
backrail.

Never seen either of these two setups before. The piano was owned by a
rich fellow who had it because of sentimental reasons... very important
to him he said... but not important enough to spend any real money on.
Just wanted it tuned.  I have to admit I have some difficulty relating
to that rationale.  But then I dont have to understand everything in
this world now do I ?

Cheers
RicB