Electric Planers & Blades & Pinblocks

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Tue, 9 Mar 2004 09:26:54 -0500

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C405B8.A903B3D0
I have a Dewald 12-1/2-inch electric planer. I use it quite a bit. I can =
plane Sitka Spruce all day with it. I can plane narrow-ish hardwood =
boards all day with it. But, I have been making a number of pinblocks =
lately and find that when I run wide hard maple boards through the =
planer numerous times, it seems to take its toll. I suspect I am simply =
reaching the limits of durability with such a tool.

The blades are what seem to go first. I have enough power (unless of =
course the slower rotation when stressed contributes to poor =
performance). The unit is wide enough for most of my needs. But the =
knives get dull quickly. It takes a long time to sharpen them (I spent =
four hours removing, sharpening, reinstalling and adjusting them =
yesterday). Yesterday I noticed that one edge was cutting deeper than =
the rest of the width. I found that one of the knives had bent at one =
end.

It seems that running wood through the planer with the grain parallel to =
the knives is hardest on the planer. Are there any wisdom-type rules for =
such grain when planing with an electric planer?

I think this planer is just not heavy-duty enough for running lots of =
wide hardwood through it. Do bigger planers have thicker, more =
heavy-duty, knives? Are knives of higher-quality metals available =
-harder (like for hand planes)? Anyone have a recommendation for a =
bigger planer? How do others handle planer knife sharpening (I am =
sharpening mine on my Tormek unit)?

Oh, and here is a picture of my latest pinblock. Quarter-sawn hard-maple =
epoxy-bonded with a Delignit cap. Operators are standing by......

Terry Farrell
------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C405B8.A903B3D0
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

------=_NextPart_001_0007_01C405B8.A903B3D0--