Tuning experience

Phil Ryan pryan2@the-beach.net
Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:26:15 -0500

I was tuning a C7 in a  theatre pit (aboard a ship) today.  I was told
it was OK to tune as long as I didn't mind riding up and down on the pit
elevator. They were testing it.   "Sure, why not!"  What an eye-opener
for sound and temperature!  As I started tuning in the pit, the sound
was bouncing all over, real easy to hear, hitting me in the face,
bouncing around, but as the piano (and I) rose up into the cavernous
theatre, the sound magically disintegrated and strained to fill the
room.  Shortly I felt the wrap-around feeling of the cool air
conditioning surrounding me and the piano and subsequently saw the
red-lights on the SAT starting to run clockwise.  Then the elevator
started downward and this phenomina was repeated again in reverse. A
couple of times doing this was a real eye-opening experience in
accoustics and piano stability.  FWIW.

Phil Ryan
Miami Beach