My Headache, Your Quiz

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:25:32 -0600

Ran into an interesting piano with many small challenges that turned a
new-customer tuning call into an all day affair. Care to take the quiz?
I'll describe specific little problems, you analyze (or guess) what the
fix was. I actually like finding these quirky little problems to
diagnose and fix ... just not so durned many of them on one call!

The piano: A Carl Ronish 85-note upright of unknown age, a little bigger
than a Hamilton studio, smaller than a Baldwin 6000. Genuine ivories.
Generally in not-so-bad condition except the pinblock was VERY weak (no
more than 20-25 in. lbs.). There are no pin collars and the plate
openings are BARELY larger than the pins (#1's, I think). Someone
already attempted to fix that problem by tapping in the pins so I laid
'er over and pumped in the CA until it wouldn't take any more. Pins now
measure 30 to 80 in. lbs. The piano has an ordinary-looking
dowell-capstans action. Blow is about two inches, primarily due to
hammer wear. It needs new hammers or regulation, at least, but that is
not directly the cause of these woes ....

Problem 1: Jack not resetting on one key. Removed a lot of slop (lost
motion) but that didn't fix it. Centers NOT sluggish, rail bushings not
binding, rail pin not turned, letoff about right.

Problem 2: One key played just great unless you played it while holding
down it's immediate neighbor, then both locked up and wouldn't reset.
Hammers and wooden action parts are NOT binding, not even touching.

Problems 3 & 4: Several keys where low despite proper adjustment of
whippen height (capstans), etc. This piano has a thick wooden upstop
rail (keystrip? prop rail?), separate from the lid & nameboard assembly.
When I removed this, the keys all fell beautifully level--after I
adjusted a few capstans so the hammers actually rested on the rest rail.
There were two reasons why the rail made a few hammers two low: One
involved a missing part, the other was due to a little careless cosmetic
work by someone.

Problem 5: A few notes (randomly located) went "thunk" when played and
had a very short sustain.

Problem 6: One note played perfectly well unless you struck it six or
seven times and then it would not play at all. A small adjustment with
my thumb and forefinger put everything right ... until you played the
note a few times and it locked up again. Etc. etc. ...

Problem 7: Couple of strings were very hard to tune: You'd bring them up
to pitch, with difficulty, but have trouble keeping them there even
though pin torque is 60 in. lbs. or better. There is a clue in the piano
description.

Problem 8: One note sounded like the damper wasn't lifting at all (it
was) and two of its neighbors made buzzing, rattling sounds when played.

I'll post my findings tomorrow night.

And one more challenge: What era do you think this piano is from? Clues:
Ivory. Action has a number on it (118397) that might be the piano serial
(I could find no other numbers) and was stamped with a company name (not
Ronish) and the city name Stutgart. Molded medallion on the plate has
these words around its edge: hof, piano, forte, fabrik, and a couple
that were hard to read. Two pedals. Case is beautiful burled wood,
possibly walnut. It is made of gentle curves, not squared parts. Even
the upper & lower panels have a gentle curve built in. Customer has been
given the impression that it is an "antique," I have a different
opinion. Whatayathink? Maybe somebody with more European piano
experience can help us, here.

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---