New Tuner

Barrie Heaton piano@a440.co.uk
Mon, 8 Mar 2004 08:30:11 +0000

In message <6.0.1.1.2.20040307152922.02fae1a0@mail.ev1.net>, Avery Todd
<avery@ev1.net> writes
>I don't think they frown on them, they just don't endorse them. At least
>as far as I know.
>
>At 03:05 PM 3/7/04, you wrote:
>>In message <6.0.1.1.2.20040304164739.02f370d0@mail.ev1.net>, Avery Todd
>><avery@ev1.net> writes
>> >That's the course I started with about 30 or so years ago. Back in those
>> >days, the PTG "sort of" endorsed some correspondence courses. (They don't
>> >anymore, BTW). They didn't endorse that one, so I changed to Aubrey
>> >Willis' course, which I don't think is even available anymore.
>>
>>Do the PTG frown on them now! or did it just get too politically
>>complicated to endorse some and not others
>
>Maybe because they had no way to control how good they were (or not!)?

We tend to get about one request a month or so for information on
distances learning as we don't have one in the UK I tend to tell them if
they are keen they will need to get one form the US but their problem
will be a mentor.

Most of the training in the UK has been college based in the past but
sadly not many young ones wish to come into the trade and the only ones
that show an interest are mature folk who have family commitments so a
2-3 year stint at college is not an option for most

I think we need to get one of the colleges to introduce a  distances
learning program or work with one of the US ones and get students to
travel into college one a term to be monitored.

Barrie,

--
Barrie Heaton      PGP key on request           http://www.a440.co.uk/
AcryliKey Ivory Repair System UK ©              http://www.acrylikey.co.uk/