Finholm grand piano action

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 19:38:34 -0700

>List,
>
>For those interested here is a link to some interesting action parts
>that are in a 1930 Vose & Sons Grand.
>
>http://tinyurl.com/24qzw
>
>Regards,
>
>Keith McGavern

Thanks for sharing that.  A few interesting things:

1.  What I at first took to be a novel wippen assist spring appears
to be the repetition spring.

2.  The repetition lever is not actually rotating about the wippen
center, as on a more typical action, but is rotating about its own
center.  So, some of the mass of the repetition lever is not being
supported by the capstan (probably insignificant), and there could
perhaps be a little bit of relative movement between the underside of
the repetition lever and the top of the jack as the action moves
through its range of motion (probably also insignificant).

3.  It's not clear to me what the top of the jack is acting against.
It appears to be a slot in the end of the repetition lever.  Does the
underside of the slot have a piece of leather on it?  It's not clear
to me what advantage one would obtain by having the jack act in this
slot on the repetition lever rather than directly on a knuckle, but
it would appear to have the disadvantage of reducing the feeling of
direct connection between the jack and the hammer shank.

4.  There appears not to be a drop screw, or its equivalent.  It
would seem that if you weren't careful about setting repetition lever
height you might end up with almost no letoff feel.  Not a good thing
I would think.

Phil Ford