Damper lever felts, dents in

R Moody remoody@midstatesd.net
Sun, 7 Mar 2004 14:08:58 -0600

> Those notes have been played more, and aggressively at that.

You might be right, and it could have been Chopsticks.  Neither the  bass
nor treble show denting and it seems confined to the C4 -- C5 octave, and if
I remember, it was F and G  being the worst.

The spoons looked pristine so I didn't even feel them but I will and burnish
as necessary.  I am leaning toward steaming with a burn in knife, or heated
brass tail clamp plate.  This should be 1/10 to 1/5 the cost of replacing
felts esp if the lever's don't have to be removed.  In this case with the
felt so thick I would have to search for something extra hard like back
check felt.  This felt seems not quite as hard as b-c felt  and thicker than
usual, so there are issues no matter which way I go.

Since I was very encouraged with one steaming, (but with the lever out) I am
leaning in that direction.  Besides I thought I might get a rise out of
Steamer and some advice in the issue  ; )

      ---ric m