hammer line

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 05:38:27 -0500

If you are in the customer's home, and presumably with the piano, why =
would you want to set the hammer line outside the piano?

For a final hammer line (as Roger says, after you have set it the first =
four times) I like to have the action in its resting position on the =
keybed. I simply sight across the bottom plane of the pinblock to the =
hammers as a level guide. This does of course incorporate the assumption =
that the pinblock is relatively straight.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Saturday, March 06, 2004 2:54 AM
  Subject: Re: hammer line

  In a message dated 3/5/04 8:26:38 PM Pacific Standard Time, =
jackhouweling@dccnet.com writes:=20

    I am looking for an effective way for setting the hammer blow  in =
the customers house. After setting  samples inside the grand piano how =
can I get a perfect hammer line outside of the piano? Is there any jigs? =

  Hi Jack,=20

  I've used a wooden let-off rack(Schaff variety) lowered way down to =
get a ruler-straight hammer line, only to have it alter once I get it in =
the piano.  Looks good for the time being, though....=20

  Dave S.