The Horowitz Steinway

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Fri, 5 Mar 2004 19:32:28 -0500

At 8:22 AM -0800 3/5/04, Joseph Garrett wrote:
>Hmmmm? When I saw the piano, it was accompanied by Franz. At that time he
>stated that it had NOT been changed, in any way! Now either Franz was lying
>or he was unaware of any changes made. How do you explain this?<G>

Joe,

What year was the when you saw this piano. If it was after his death
in 11/89, it would have most likely be the piano which the Steinway
factory put a new action in (including keyboard) and then sent on
tour as the "Horowitz Piano". I remember seeing it at M. Steinert in
Boston in 12/91 (though it could have been '90). We went through this
on the list a couple of years back.

Horowitz's pianos are listed at this url,
http://w1.854.telia.com/~u85420275/trivia.htm (Anybody know the story
behind the following remark? "CD186 was used for subsequent concerts
and recording sessions until it suffered catastrophic failure in late
1972 and was retired from professional use."

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Blessed are the cynical,
		for they hath made backups."