the mass of the brass is a gass

Overs Pianos sec@overspianos.com.au
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 11:01:48 +1100

>What happens if you "ground" the cantilever to the board with a
>tight-fitting block, or maybe a "soundpost"? Certainly that would
>add stiffness.
>
>Tom Cole

That certainly would work Tom, I have done this with pianos such as
the Yamaha C3 and the Steinway A, both of which use a cantilever
throughout their entire bass sections (which displays a rather poor
understanding of tone building in both instances). There is little to
be gained by incorporating a cantilever in the low bass, but it is
positively detrimental at the upper end of the bass bridge. A little
wood block works wonders in this instance.

Where the lower end of the treble is displaying a low impedance
problem, if the bridge is being replaced, extending the footprint
further out towards the rim will help. Its certainly a better idea
than a ring bridge between the two bridges. While the ring will help
the lower treble bridge impedance, it will surely raise that of the
lower bass, to kill of any chance of a decent full toned bottom end.

If bridge replacement isn't on the agenda, the mass loading approach
is a marvellous fix.

Ron O.
--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY