sticky notes on grand actions - Help Please!!

Piannaman@aol.com Piannaman@aol.com
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 23:01:29 EST

In a message dated 3/4/04 11:59:03 AM Pacific Standard Time,
steve_robson@hotmail.com writes:

> I have seen an increase recently on notes sticking (failing to return to
> rest) on more than one
> piano recently. The instruments are not heavily used and conditions in the
> rooms are stable.
> Central heating with humidifiers.
>
> Is this a seasonal thing or is there a common adjustment I should try.
>
> Regards
>
> Steve

Steve,

In recent times I've dealt with many sticky keys caused by tight balance rail
holes.  Easing the keys will often help.  Any increase in extra weight
required to push a key back into position will cause the action to not function at
optimal level, and possibly not at all.  Before you take corrective measures,
figure out where the problem is.

Work back from the key.  Keyslip, front rail bushing, balance rail bushing,
between the keys, any of the centers in the flanges of the whippen or hammer.

I don't know if this is your job or not, but if it isn't, it may fall under
the "don't try this at home" category.  If you're a tech, or becoming one, look
at it as an opportunity to hone your skills!

Dave Stahl