Changing Harmonicity

gordon stelter lclgcnp@yahoo.com
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 17:01:40 -0800 (PST)

Nope. The grooves cause the hammer to SLAP the sring,
rather than PUNCH it, creating all sorts of partial
excitation, while damping the fundamental and,
therefore, a "tinny" sound.  Plus, the felt at the
bottom of the grooves is quite hard, also exciting
upper partials.
    In my previous example, the vibrations that create
the higher partials are more rapid than the
fundamental ( obviously ) and are damped at the end of
their traversal of the wire by the soft hammer
shoulders as the hammer "lingers" on the string longer
due to extra inertial mass. And the fundamental is
increased by the extra hammer mass as it pushes into
the wire and then rebounds in synchronicity with the
wire's movement, not just bouncing off it, causing
nice big waves, not "sizzles".
     It's all very scientific, of course!
     Professor Euphonious Thump
     ( and his Terpsichoral Ten )