Changing Harmonicity

Sarah Fox sarah@gendernet.org
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 11:59:29 -0500

Hi David,

> One of those other parameters is Hammer Weight.  It has been reported to
me
> by Vince Mrykalo that increasing the hammer weight reduces inharmonicity
> significantly....

How?  By diminishing the influence of higher (more inharmonic) partials??

I don't see how the properties of an impulse delivered to a resonant system
can alter the resonant frequencies of that system.  The system will only
resonate in response to the spectral energy in the impulse that corresponds
to its natural resonant frequencies.  If the hammer does not deliver (or
delivers but damps) the higher frequencies to which the system could
potentially resonate, the system will not resonate at those frequencies.
However, that's not to say that the resonant frequencies have shifted
towards a harmonic relationship with the fundamental.  A system will not
freely resonate to frequencies to which it is not tuned -- although it can
be driven at "off-frequencies" with continuous input of energy.

Peace,
Sarah