Zinging dampers

Mark Wisner mwisner@earthlink.net
Wed, 3 Mar 2004 08:20:04 -0800 (GMT-08:00)

I have had some small success reducing the "crunch" as you call it, or the "oink" by bending the damper wire so that the front and the back of the damper don't contact the string at exactly the same instant.  I did this by holding the damper block between my thumb and forefinger and bending it SLIGHTLY towards the rear.
Normally,  I would consider intentionally misadjusting dampers an act of vandalism but since it worked I called it service and charged 'em!

---Original Message-----
From: David Love <davidlovepianos@earthlink.net>
Sent: Mar 3, 2004 6:57 AM
To: Pianotech <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Re: Zinging dampers

Well it's somebody's own piano that they brought into the studio (Steinway
D).  The noise is with the dampers coming down.  Very subtle and only on
very slow pedaling.  Not a problem in this person's home, but under the
scrutiny of the microphone it's audible.  There's a bit of a crunch as they
are in the middle of a recording session and I don't want to take the time
to change a whole section of felt, that's why I'm looking for a quick fix.
They don't feel terribly crusty and there's no foreign material.  I've had
this problem before with new felt, so I really need a way to fine tune the
dampers a little to quiet them down.  Of course, I could just ask her to
let go of the pedal a little quicker?!?!?

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net