Digital piano ET vs. Tunelab Pocket

Ron Koval drwoodwind@hotmail.com
Tue, 02 Mar 2004 16:47:01 +0000

<snip>
I got curious last night at a late hour and decided to test my Kawai MP 9000
digital piano's "concert grand" equal temperament vs. the program file of a
Kawai RX-2(5 ' 10").
<snip>

Ok, I'll give this a try.  (must be a little slow here at school today...)
Anyway, I'll assume that TLpocket uses the same partials as TLpro.  If not,
ignore everything that follows.  First, I threw out the A4 reading, because
it uses the first partial for tuning.  All of the other notes use the second
partial.  That allowed me to graph the raw data to try and get a trend for
the width of the octave, as well as the general graph shape.  Then I created
a generic (smoother) trendline to equal that octave width, setting the equal
temperament baseline.  Once I got that, I was able to calculate offsets for
this temperament.  It's a quasi-equal, see it in the attached JPEG, compared
to equal temperament, and the Thomas Moore, just for balance.  The graph
shows the width of the major thirds only, in circle of fifths order.

enjoy!

Ron Koval
Chicagoland

Fast. Reliable. Get MSN 9 Dial-up - 1 month FREE! (Limited-time Offer)

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: digital temperament.jpg
Type: image/pjpeg
Size: 41608 bytes