Help with unusual wippen, please!

Benny L. Tucker precisionpiano@alltel.net
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 20:14:10 -0500

Hello folks, I hope someone can help me out with this. Took on another job
of regulating a grand action that should be in the trash. I have no Idea of
the brand of grand this is, as it was re-whatevered ages ago, including case
refinish with no name decals, and soundboard refinished/replaced with no
name decal. Actually I didn't look real hard for the brand as I was trying
my best to get the couple to toss this piano.
    Problem: Wippens like I have never seen before. I know I'm young in this
profession, but I'll try to describe what I'm talking about. In place of
knuckles of the usual kind on the shanks, there's just a wooden bump that
acts as a knuckle.
    The jacks don't actually push up on this knuckle, because pinned to the
rep lever is a buckskin/leather covered wooden flap that rests over the jack
window, and this flap gets pushed up by the jack, I guess this may be the
knuckle. This flap is what pushes up on the shank "wood knuckle".
I have never seen this arrangement before, so if some of you other folks out
there know what I'm talking about, I would appreciate you telling me how to
regulate the jacks to this flap/knuckle thingee.
    Thanks for your time!

Benny L. Tucker
Yamaha Factory Tuner
Precision Piano Tuning & Repair