Sohmer grand/Carl

Carl Meyer cmpiano@comcast.net
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 15:49:25 -0800

Okay, here's the scoop

If you remember my picture of the hammer tails that were tapered in the
wrong direction, here's my minimum effort solution.

I hoped I'd not have to remove every hammer or even the stack.

See the attached picture.

I spaced the hammer shanks up with a 5 inch  board, put an aluminum u
channel above and clamped with rubber bands.  Then I used the front round
end of a small hand held  belt sander and with a quickly learned technique
with the sander running, allowed the sander to climb the tail to shape them
to the back check.  I used a very coarse belt which worked very well.  It
even corrected the poorly hung hammers. Tails were not in line very well.

I'd even consider doing this after installing hammers rather than grinding
them before installation.

So, I learned something.