Sohmer grand

Jeff Carlisle jeffspiano@cox.net
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:56:07 -0600

Hello list,

I once came across a grand that had new hammers recently installed that =
had not had any tail-shaping whatsoever. I used a dremel tool with a =
sanding wheel to shape them, then regulated backchecks. It would have =
been better, of course, (if the customer had been able to pay for it), =
to have the action in the shop for a proper tail-shaping and regulation, =
but that was my in-the-field, on-the-fly solution.

Jeff=20

 ---------------------------------------
 Jeff Carlisle
 jeffspiano@cox.net

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Carl Meyer=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Monday, March 01, 2004 2:13 PM
  Subject: Re: Sohmer grand

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: "John Ross" <jrpiano@win.eastlink.ca>
  To: "Pianotech" <pianotech@ptg.org>
  Sent: Saturday, February 28, 2004 2:16 PM

  > Hi Carl,
  > I have seen the backchecks twisted, to align with the hammers. Not =
that I
  > consider it correct.
  > It was on a fairly new Korean piano if I remember correctly.
  > It might be an easy way out of your dilemma.

  John, thanks,  I've seen this too and I might have considered it if =
the tail
  were straight.  They are tapered the wrong way, so the backcheck would =
be
  twisted severely.  This might put side stress on the hammer flange =
resulting
  in premature loose center pins.  I'm putting my ingenuity and =
foresight  to
  work on this dilemma and I'll let the list know when I bring forth my
  ultimate breakthrough creative solution.

  Carl Meyer Ptg assoc
  Santa Clara, Ca.

  > Regards,
  > John M. Ross