Kissing noise on Kawai grand

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Mon, 1 Mar 2004 01:53:30 +0100

Hi, my take should lend towards longitudinal modes, that can be producing
all kind of funny effects when mixing with the "normal" vibrating modes of
the string (phase and reverse phase, added energy, perturbation of the
curve)

If in the hammers, it ca be mushy shanks or a gap in the glue collar, but
also a certain density of the felt.

Still unsure of what it is  you state .

Best

Isaac OLEG

  -----Message d'origine-----
  De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Stéphane Hanriat
  Envoyé : vendredi 27 février 2004 20:52
  À : Pianotech
  Objet : Kissing noise on Kawai grand

  Hello List,

  I'm back with another topic I would like to share with you.

  During the process of selecting my Shigeru piano, I played a lot of Kawai
instruments, and I found a strange noise impacting very few notes, but
always the same notes : 23, 24 and 25. The noise looks like a whistling
appearing at the attack, and is very easy to ear when playing a non legato
trill at pianissimo. This noise is clearly audible on most of RX-2, SK2
(1.78 m), RX-3 and SK3 (1.86 m). Very difficult to ear it on larger
instrument. RX-6 or SK6 (2.12 m) do not have it.  - sorry for the metric
unit -:)

  I had extensive discussions on that with our french MPA who is now an
expert to determine whether an instrument is having the noise or not. We
have contacted Kawai in Japan. They replied that this is well known as
"kissing noise" and that mostly all prestigious brands are facing this
problem that originates from hammer conditions. Kawai also told us that
Steinway has extensively studied the topic without identifying the root
cause ; and when the problem is creating inconvenience at playing, Steinway
is replacing the hammers...

  We made some experiments at the french Kawai show room on some RX, without
being capable to find a reliable fix. Some pianos were not having this
kissing noise, but most of them had it in the showroom.

  When I play grand pianos in this size range, I always discreetly check the
stuff... but I've not seen this kissing noise as present as on the Kawai. I
can tell you I've been cautious when selecting my Shigeru, so it took me 2
years to find an SK3 almost free from kissing noise (but not completely
free).

  If some of you have an explanation and/or a fix, I would be very excited
to learn this (and lot of MPAs too, believe me).

  Cheers,
  Stephane Hanriat, the french guy who loves the Shigeru's.