compleate regulation of the grand piano

David Renaud drjazzca@yahoo.ca
Wed, 30 Jun 2004 09:22:30 -0400 (EDT)

  Speaking for myself, I can not imagine spending
more then 8 hours regulating a grand piano.
Perhaps less on a newer piano 2-4hours. Up to maximum
8 on an old beast needing a very good regulation.
So for me $200 to $400. I often book a half day
or a whole day for this at a clients for a good
quality regulation.

   BUT!! This is regulation only!! I consider
regulation correcting changes due to material
compression back to where "it was" only.

   Alignment issues alone can take a whole day or
two. Repining, hammer reshaping, tight balance rail
holes, poorly fit key bushings ,can take a whole day
or two. Once everything is correct, then regulation is
easy.

  Alignment of parts is often a big job, friction
in/of parts, lubrication of parts, reshaping parts,
replacing parts........An old action may need much
more then simple regulation.

Type one-- New grand - 4 hours in home, regulate
           seat/level string/lube/voice a bit.

Type two -- Two days(16 hours)in shop plus,
             8 hour regulation day in home
             4 hour follow up tune/voicing.
             Up to 28 hours

Type 3 --- Replace many parts--- many more hours.

And everything between on a case by case basis.

                                  Cheers
                                  David Renaud
                                  RPT
                                  Canada