Glassing pinblocks

Jon Page jonpage@comcast.net
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 19:29:32 -0400

 >I prefer not to have to squeeze out the excess
with a lot of clamp pressure.

To get the best fit with epoxy seating is to first hand fit the block
to the flange and then install the screws. Then remove the pin block
and apply a thin bead of Marine-tex to the edge and reinstall the block
with every other screw. Let cure. This will insure a tight fit.

When installing the screws after fitting, the block might not be as firm
to the flange as you'd like. The epoxy makes up for any drift which might
have occurred. With the screws installed the block is locked and clamped
in place, any fill will squeeze out.

During the initial screw drilling and installation, one might break :-(
Don't worry. You'll be removing the block to apply epoxy, fix it then,
either with an EZ-Out or drill around it and plug with a pin block plug
to redrill. I use a large tapered bit for wood screws.

Regards,

Jon Page, piano technician
Harwich Port, Cape Cod, Mass.
mailto:jonpage@comcast.net