Steinway mystery knuckle felt

Stéphane Collin collin.s@skynet.be
Mon, 28 Jun 2004 13:54:39 +0200

Keith McGavern a écrit :

> A couple of questions, please:
> 1) Are these pieces of felt mounted uniformly on every hammer shank?

Yes, and it looks like a very nice job, very careful and consistent :
only the side of the piece of felt that is near the knucle is glued to
the shank, the rest being floating free.

> 2) Are these shanks and knuckles original?

Hard to say.  There is evidence of work in the past in the action.  But
I think the shanks are original, and the knuckles that I replaced (they
were worn) were also original, I think.  Now that I think of it, those
red felts look too good to be of the same age as the piano.  Which
doesn't mean that they were not there in the beginning.

You have an idea ?

> At your convenience,
>
> Keith

Regards,