Fwd: wurzen/Ronsons

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 21 Jun 2004 00:16:55 EDT

-------------------------------1087791414
In a message dated 6/20/2004 9:16:28 PM Pacific Standard Time, Erwinspiano
writes:
Richard Adkins writes
Please tell us what your approach was with these hammers...
did you use chemical hardeners...? or just needle in the German
hammer fashion? Combination.

The last Ronsons I tried were "german felt" they said, but I was not
thrilled, and maybe I didn't prep them properly?...I still have 'em....
Maybe they needed more lacquer than I put in 'em...or no lacquer?....
Or different needling technique. Some of my colleagues are also
recommending them, but I'm wary. Genuine Steinway hammers seemed
to put out more sound, but I know how to work with them. For
the price, the Ronsons look so attractive.

thanks in advance.
Richard Adkins.
Coe College Music Dept.
    HI Richard

  Did you hang the Ronsens & if yes, in what? I've installed & voiced many
dozens of sets of the German felt with very little effort & very little juice or
needling.
     The Wurzen is a stiffer felt that voices similarly & may require a few
judicious needle strokes in the higher shoulders & deep in octaves 4 & 5 They
may also need extremely thin solutions of Lacquer primarily in the bass. I
recommend a thoro medium filing for the bass to get a better initial shape & light
filing in the rest to remove the cup. Start with 80 grit in the bass move to
240 & finish with 400. In the tenor & treble start with 240 & finish with 400.
A nice clean top will give you more instant music. Do this in a gang clamp
before hanging. 15 Minutes max. Also you may Iron lightly but it's mostly for
cosmetics & a bit more attack if you want it.
     My Advice is do nothing in the way of prevoicing as per Renner/Abel, it
is not needed. As Tom Servinsky reported the sound is warm & clear without the
usual ping,ting of other harder pressed hammers. I call it power without
noise or excessive trash sounds. If you're use dot that I say try it you'll prob
ably like it.
   Dale Erwin

Erwins Pianos Restorations
4721 Parker Rd.