Shanks parallel to strings- off list

Phillip Ford fordpiano@earthlink.net
Sat, 19 Jun 2004 11:32:20 -0700

>>>Bill Spurlock recommends in his hammer hanging pamphlet to thin the treble
>>>shanks to remove mass, saying that will eliminate some of the "woody" sound
>>>that the you get in the extreme treble. I wonder if the woody sound is a
>>>result of the cp moving away from the hammer closer to the pivot. The
>>>resulting higher reaction force could be vibrating the shank assembly
>>>generating the noise. Thinning the shanks would move the cp back closer to
>>>the hammer.
>>
>>An interesting observation.  Could be.
>
>Or perhaps a shorter string contact time as a result of the lower
>mass, killing less of the non-woody upper partial energy. As long as
>observations are being entertained...
>
>Ron N

Could be.  Which might explain why the  older makers worked so hard
to thin the hammer moldings down to nothing as well, which would
shift the center of percussion away from the hammer BTW.  Seems it
might limit your volume though, although if you've got more high
partial information perhaps the sound carries better or is more
'piercing'.

Phil F