Expanding YC action bracket symptoms??

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 16:11:57 -0400

the piano will play well without a good regulation!

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Piannaman@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: Friday, June 18, 2004 11:13 AM
  Subject: Expanding YC action bracket symptoms??

  Hi List,=20

  I know this topic has been dicsussed a fair amount at various times in =
this forum.  Yesterday, I went to tune a Weber WG50(about a 5' 7" grand =
I believe) which was manufactured by Young Chang.  What I found was a =
piano so out of regulation as to be virtually unplayable.  Hammers were =
blocking against the strings, and it took more than a full turn of the =
let-off dowels to get any let-off at all.  =20

  I didn't get very far into it, because I'd only alotted time for a =
normal tuning appointment.  I did take off the top action to check for =
abnormal tightness in the keyframe, but it seemed to go in and out just =
fine.  But the amount the piano has gone out of regulation is of concern =
to me.  =20

  Other factors:  The piano was in Pennsylvania before it came to a much =
drier climate in CA, and before it got to its current location, it =
stayed for some time(I think the owner mentioned over a year) in =
storage.=20

  What measurements can I take to determine if it is indeed swollen =
brackets?  After checking a few sample notes, I've come to the =
conclusion that the piano can be regulated, but I want to be sure it =
isn't something more egregious before I spend many hours on the piano.=20

  Any input would be helpful!  Thanks in advance.=20

  Dave Stahl