Yamaha flange cord repair, time estimate for rookies

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 10:19:00 -0700

Dave,
Given the choice, would replacing the flanges be a more efficient=
 way to do the job?   I realize you probably came upon the job=
 and had to deal with it.   I wouldn't have what I need in my=
 vehicle and would have order the cord...question:  are you=
 replacing with actual Yamaha cord or thread or something...?
David I.

From: <Piannaman@aol.com>
To: <pianotech@ptg.org>
Subject: Yamaha flange cord repair, time estimate for rookies

Hi all,

As someone who had never removed and replaced the cords on Yamaha=
 hammer flanges, I thought I'd give you a brief report.

It has taken 3 hours so far.   I wasn't in my shop, so some of=
 that time was spent hunting for tools, supplies, etc.  The old=
 cords were so wasted, they basically crumbled and I had to dig=
 them out of the slots.  I have less than an hour left to=
 complete the job.

I can easily see cutting an hour or an hour and a half off of=
 this procedure in the future, now that I've practiced the drill=
 88 times<G>.

Mr. Garrett, you might want to factor this into your "G Piano=
 Works" labor guide.  Give it three hours for a safe estimate,=
 somewhere between rookie and master.

Dave Stahl