Shanks parallel to strings

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 17 Jun 2004 00:15:30 EDT

  Dave , Phil & all
  It seems to me that parallel can also mean not parallel to the floor. The
string plane is not parallel to the keybed as well  but angled a few degrees
going upward to the rear of the piano, so, what do we want the shank to be
parallel to? If to the strings, then the shank end at the hammer hole comes up past
the center pin height from the keybed so the shanks are parol to the strings
at let off & 1.5 mm further on to contact the string the shank over centers as
do the hammers.
   If we bore hammers so that the shank end only gets as high as the hammer
string contact point allows it then the shank & the strings are not truly
parallel. In that case there would be a bit of hammer under centering until the
felt wore & was filed.  Or the hammers could be bored with an opposite rake so
the hammer hits the string at a true right angle for max. power.
  I agree with David small amounts of fudge are not critical but if too short
a bore is used in the beginning everthing  ends up regulating the action as
if it had been played 40 yrs & all the reg screwss haved moved out of a
reasonable position for accurate & normal regulation & frictions change etc.
  To long a bore & the opposite happens & it plays like the proverbial truck.
   Dale Erwin

 Though I always aim for the hammers
perpendicular to the string at impact, minor variations are not likely to
cause a great deal of trouble.  As far as shank parallel to strings, it's a
reasonable standard that usually allows everything else to fall in line.
But in and of itself, much ado about nothing.

David Love
davidlovepianos@earthlink.net
   Da