Two-String Piano

Isaac OLEG oleg-i@noos.fr
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 23:29:52 +0200

Just played one "pianino " today (6 octaves I guess) .
The 2 strings unisons are definitively very different from usual piano
tone (not for the better unfortunately).

Like if you play with the left pedal, but even less lively.
The Yamaha COP 80 also exhibit that kind of tone in fact.

Not convinced

Best

Isaac OLEG

-----Message d'origine-----
De : pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org]De la
part de Stephen Birkett
Envoye : mercredi 16 juin 2004 16:16
A : Pianotech
Objet : Re: Two-String Piano

Terry wrote:

>Seems to me then that there SHOULD be a market for home pianos that
have a
>most two strings per note. Advantages would be better tuning
stability
>(unisons) and lower cost and weight. ....
>But waddaya think about such an idea?

Well nothing is new under the sun. Bichord grand pianos were marketed
by French manufacturers (e.g. Boisselot, Pleyel etc.) mid-19th
century. Reasoning presumably what Terry suggests. From the ones I've
come across I believe the bichord was musically acceptable for
domestic use and with some practical and economic benefits...but the
idea was one of those countless innovations that had a fling and
peetered out.

Stephen
--
Dr Stephen Birkett