Weak pin block

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Tue, 15 Jun 2004 16:32:37 -0400

On Jun 15, 2004, at 8:35 PM, Geo Bartlett wrote:

> .question weather the pin block is cracked...or will I get away with a
> set of number 4 pins.

I'm not familiar with the piano, but you'll never know whether it's
cracked or not, unless to disassemble it! Probably the least horrid
approach is to put it on a tilter,  protect the floor etc with plastic
tarps and soak a fair amount of CA glue in at the base of every tuning
pin. I'm usually very miserly in the amounts I use, but this one will
probably take a lot. If so, be doubly sure it's not all pouring onto
the client's rugs etc. The fumes are toxic & will make you quite light
headed too, so excellent ventilation is called for. Come back in a day
or two, return the piano to it's upright position, and start tuning.
Check the archives for others' testimonies on this approach.
Now, if the action is a dismal wreck perhaps you should reconsider ...
Patrick
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched