pitch stability

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 14:49:16

Hi all,

Seeing as the convention is about stability I have some data to add to the
mix.

The Piano:

A venerable Yamaha C3 equipped with a full DamppChaser system and bottom
cover.

The condiditons:

Tuned April 23, 2004 final pitch 0.54 cents sharp ambient humidity in room 20%

By June 10, 2004 the humidity had risen to 42% and the pitch had gone up to
2.0 cents (A4). The first note in the bass was 1.28 (A#2) and the first
plain steel string (B2) was 4.18 cents sharp.

Clearly the humidity control system is doing a very good job of keeping the
instrument stable, but I still chose to "float the pitch" at +2 cents to
minimize the change in pitch.

It remains to be seen if I should increase the wattage on the unit. It has
a belly of 38 watts and a tail of 25 watts.

Regards,

mailto:pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
http://us.geocities.com/drpt1948/

3004 Grant Rd.