Time & Chaos for Piano Techies

Jerry Cohen emailforjc@yahoo.com
Thu, 10 Jun 2004 08:58:52 -0400

Dave,
I have just downloaded T&C as a trial, and I was thinking of using the
custom fields for exactly the same purpose.

After you set up the custom fields, can you store these fields so the same
ones can be used as new customers are added, or do you have to type in these
fields for each new customer?

Thanks,

Jerry Cohen

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of David M. Porritt
Sent: Thursday, June 10, 2004 6:26 AM
To: dave@davispiano.com; pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: Time & Chaos for Piano Techies

Dave:

I use the custom fields for things like the brand, model, serial number,
last time serviced, temperature, humidity, etc.  For any detailed
information I use the note field.  There's no limit (that I'm aware of) to
the size of an attached note, so you can really wax eloquent there.  You can
also attach files to a customer record so you could keep a word processing
file or a spreadsheet attached if you really needed their entire genealogy.

On multiple piano places like churches and schools, I have kept a database
using a database program -- currently Microsoft Access.  Each piano has a
record.  With a database program you can have as many fields as you think
you need, and if you need more later, you can add them.  For retail clients,
however, I've found that T&C has more than enough flexibility for what I
need.

dave
David M. Porritt, RPT
Meadows School of the Arts