hammer quality

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Wed, 9 Jun 2004 18:42:12 -0500

Paul,

Which of the 3 available hammer felts (Bacon, VFG, or Wurzen) did you use?

thanks,

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Chick \(Earthlink\)
To: Pianotech
Sent: 6/9/2004 8:36:49 AM
Subject: RE: hammer quality

Greetings,

               I would like to replace an old upright Becker Brother's hammers. What are the best hammers for old turn of the century pianos? What hammers have the best quality?

Thank you
Julia,
Reading, PA
 Julia
I  recently  installed a set of Ronsen hammers in a 1902 Smith and Barnes upright.  The customers are thrilled with the warm rich tone they consider to be "authentic."   A small amount of hammer hardener was needed in the 6th and 7th octave to brighten them.  The rest of the hammers required no additional voicing.
Paul Chick, Sr