piano report

Jenneetah yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 6 Jun 2004 21:41:06 -0400

At 6:57 PM -0500 6/6/04, Avery Todd wrote:
>I wonder which manufacturer he does the most work for?
>A little prejudiced? Maybe? :-)

If you poke around a little further, you'll start to suspect that
it's a classroom writing project. There's another "report" with a
nearly identical outline, and even similar language, advising someone
on which synthesize to buy, dated 15 July
http://www.bcc.ctc.edu/lmc/dietrich/ProgressReportSynthesizers.pdf.

".bcc.ctc.edu" is Bellevue Community College in Bellevue WA.

Figures #1,2,9-11 and 18 are lifted directly from Larry Fine's book.
Although that book, as well as all the manufacturers' brochures, is
listed in the bibliography, the use of all these graphics is not
acknowledged and is quite likely without permission. (Par for the
course with today's college students.)

I especially liked the part about "*With your husband's upcoming
salary increase and supplementary bonus, cost will not be your
primary factor. With this being a life long investment and a valuable
asset, cost is an aspect that should take careful consideration."

Also: "You dislike pianos that wine and sound like a hammer is
hitting a tin can. For these reasons indicated above, this purchase
should not be taken lightly."