"Musicsorb" humidity control

Robert J Russell brjr@sbcglobal.net
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 19:04:04 -0700 (PDT)

List, In addition to the shortcomings of this products ability to handle our severe humidity swings. The product only is effective for a year. I believe the recommended selling price is $40.
This means that you have to resell the product every year. Like any humidity control system, the pianos do not stabilize overnight after they're installed. It takes a couple of seasons of humidity control to moderate the humidity fluctuations, and a couple of tunings, where we are making smaller and smaller adjustments to the overall string tension before the pitch is stable. Sooo, what if the client purchases the Musicsorb the first year, then doesn't the second. Who wants to have to sell a $40.00 product every year. With Dampp-Chaser systems you have to change the pads and restock their solution, but it is an automatic sale since the piano has the system already. Also, if this Musicsob product becomes widespread despite it's shortcomings, remember that they really don't require professional installation. I suspect that customers will quickly cut us out of the loop on this product.
Poor results and no profits are a double negative in my book.
Bob Russell, RPT

Clyde Hollinger <cedel@supernet.com> wrote:
Friends,

I did not believe in Dampp-Chaser when I installed the first one, so I promised the client I would take it out and refund every penny if she was not satisfied.  That was ten years ago.  Now she says she wouldn't want to be without it and offered her testimonial to potential buyers.

In the case of MusicSorb, I also went to the website, and I have doubts that the product will be sufficiently effective here, where the humidity swings from 85% to 25%.  I also wonder if my clients will agree to suggested replacement at least every year at a cost of $40.  But hey, I'm speaking from ignorance.  If I gave it a chance, I might change my mind.  Those who decide to go for it, let us know what you learn.

Regards,
Clyde Hollinger, RPT

pianolover 88 wrote:

In the May issue of the PTJ, (bottom of page 39), there's an ad for "Music sorb", which is used for humidity control. Has anyone used this product? I checked out the website and it looks like an interesting alternative to "Dampp-chaser". It uses no heat or electricity, and supposedly works by both absorbing and releasing moisture to keep the RH in the "safety zone".

The website is: http://musicsorb.com/

the technician Login is "techpage", and the password is: "Piano"

Terry Peterson

Is your PC infected? Get a FREE online computer virus scan from McAfeeŽ Security.