HT, Ron Koval and Owen Jorgensen, longish

ANRPiano@aol.com ANRPiano@aol.com
Sat, 5 Jun 2004 18:27:48 EDT

In a message dated 6/5/2004 4:39:34 PM Central Daylight Time, A440A@aol.com
writes:

It may depend on what we are defining as "color".
Ed,
That is a question.  That is why I allowed for a subconscious sense of  key
function based on historic experience.  However, I do hear a  difference
between C Maj. and D Maj. in ET.  I would attribute this to  slightly faster thirds
in the latter than the former.  Yes, relatively  speaking everything is the
same but with the tonic located further up the scale  the key's tonic will have
slightly fast beating tonic - mediant  third.  Additionally there is the
factor of a slight brightening of pitches  as the tonic moves up the keyboard.  Add
to this my lifetime experience  with music from 1600 to the present and you
may have all the pieces to my  puzzle.  But defining the color of blue when it
refers to sound is a  difficult thing to do. So until tight definitions of all
the  phenomenon are agreed upon we should explore the phenomenon in all of
its  permutations before invalidating someone's particular experience.
I am sure temperament influenced compositional choices.  In addition  to
temperament you have tradition.  In the early stages of development  musical
notation didn't allow for key, if the idea of key was even  present.  Everything
was written without a signature and musica ficta was  added as needed or desired
by the performer and later the composer.  In the  later Baroque period
musical notation as we know it today became more or less  standardized.  If we were
to remove Bach's Well Tempered Clavier from the  mix, very little was written
in any key more remote than a couple  accidentals.  I think the tradition of
simple keys could also attribute an  influence here, not to mention the simple
fact that most music is written and  played for amateurs and less remote keys
are easier for the average person to  read.  Ask any teacher about the moans
you hear when a student's piece has  any more than a few accidentals!  It is
not until the very late Classical  and early Romantic periods do you begin to
see more remte keys, yet this is  still long before ET is on the seen. That is
why I asked Ron for a HT, so I  could explore this music in a temperament more
appropriate to its time.   What surprised me was how well the 20th century
music also sounded.
Andrew