U1 hammer butt problem

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 21:48:47 -0400

Thank you, thank you, thank you pianotek wizzards!

I think someone mentioned on this thread a bit back that double striking =
on a Yamaha vertical might be related to broken hammer butt spring =
cords.

I have seen the broken butt spring cords many times but have not been =
able to tell the piano owner what problem that might cause - because the =
notes still seem to "function".

I went to tune a 1970 (or so) Yamaha console (for the third time) today =
and after I asked how the piano had been doing since the last tuning she =
said that several notes would double strike the string when playing =
softly.

I immediately put on my thinking cap and said (before opening up the =
piano) that it is likely one of two things: either the action is way out =
of regulation or a number of hammer butt cords have broken - "maam, that =
is a common problem on Yamahas."

Opened that sucker up and showed her about 30 broken hammer butt cords. =
Man alive, she thought I was professor piano!=20

Thanks folks, this thread really didn't excite me too much, but I know =
it is something that I haden't dealt with before, so I had been reading =
them. Good thing. Thanks, thanks, thanks!

BTW, how long does it take someone to replace a set of flanges, or just =
the cord. Thanks for the 16th time!

Terry Farrell