The Piano Technicians Journal and Mushroom Farming

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:25:54 -0400

  Dear Journal readers,

Since my last letter I have received dozens of e-mails and phone calls
from PTG members expressing concern about the changes to the Journal
implemented by the present PTG Board of Directors. The vast majority of
these massages expressed support for what we, Chris and I, have been
doing to help create the Journal. We both feel uplifted and gratified by
this outpouring of support and send our deepest gratitude. In addition
to having a lot of work to do here in the shop and the studio we have
been so overwhelmed by the number of messages that we have not responded
to each of you individually as we should. I hope that this message, if
it reaches all of you, will in small measure rectify this lapse.

While mort of you understood and sympathized with my situation a few
just didn’t get it. For their sake I will attempt to simplify the
situation with an analogy. Let’s say you are employed by a music school
to service their pianos. You just signed a one year contract to perform
these duties. You have worked at the school for a number of years and
you have received praise and support by both the faculty and the
students. One morning you arrive on campus and see an ad on the bulletin
board or in the school paper. It states that the administration is
looking for a technician to fill your job. What do you do?

Some of you assumed that I have been in behind the scenes discussions to
work out my differences with the current PTG board. Unfortunately this
just never happened. I have been kept in the dark as have all of you.
They hide behind their silence but their actions speak for them. As I
said in my last message they conducted a clandestine search for my
replacement last year. They discontinued our editorial meetings and they
have dismissed every new idea I have had for further improvements to the
Journal. The way the present PTG board operates is like mushroom
farming: keep them in the dark, pile compost on them and cut off  any
heads that poke up. While I attended the conference in Quebec City I
received not a word from Jim Birch. Paul Kupelian managed a limp “hi
John” but made no eye contact.

Many of you have expressed an interest for what could be done to rectify
the situation. While I am just a piano technician with a pencil and what
is called for is an adept political operator, I do have a few avenues
for you to pursue. First of all is “follow the money.”

 From the very first Journal editorial meeting I attended the issue of
the Journal budget was discussed. It came up for the most part because
we were told that we couldn’t do something on account of the Journal
budget. When we asked to see this budget no one at the home office
including the executive director could find it. Every year the same
issue came up.  Eventually at our last meeting all of us tried to piece
together what the Journal cost to members. We added what we knew about
printing and mailing expenses and we added up what is paid to the
editorial staff. We estimated the amount of time it takes the home
office to help get it done and added that cost to the total. Then we
subtracted the income from advertisement. It is amazing that this has
never been done before and even though our attempt was crudely estimated
we were able to glean that it only cost member about $28 per year to
create the Journal.

So I say the first thing to do is demand that an independent audit be
made of the cost to members for producing the Journal. Then members can
decide if enough of their dues are being used for this key benefit. I
believe that most members would prefer to see a larger portion of their
dues be spent on the Journal.

Besides getting to know how the money is spent you should look at the
talents and skills of your home office employees. Chris and I have been
providing design and layout services in order to make the Journal look
professional. It would streamline the process if the person doing the
layout at the home office were skilled in graphic design. In addition
having an Executive Director that understood something about publishing
would help a great deal. In fact I think, considering how important the
Journal is to members, the ED should be someone with a strong publishing
background. I know personally that I would still be happily working on
the Journal if this were the case. It is very difficult to work at a
creative job for little money when your skills and talent are not seen
as valuable by the boss.

The last thing to mention is obvious to all of us; PTG needs to have a
Board of Directors that truly represent the interest of the membership.
I leave it to you to ponder what can be done about that.

John Hartman