Today's Annoyance Kluge keys

Dean May deanmay@pianorebuilders.com
Thu, 3 Jun 2004 10:37:14 -0500

>>I am toying with trying to put a very thin coat of epoxy on either =
side of the key about two inches on either side of the button.  This may =
give me the stiffness they need.=20
=20
=20
>From a structural standpoint all of your stiffness comes from the upper =
and lower fibers of the key. Think of the key as an I-beam. The load of =
the I-beam is carried by the upper and lower flanges. The web in the =
middle carries next to nothing, it only connects the flanges.=20
=20
So adding stiffness to the sides will not accomplish much. It needs to =
be added primarily to the portion under tension, that would be the top =
of the key. Most of your deflection will come from the wood under =
tension, not the part under compression. And the weakest part of the key =
is the balance rail hole. So the greatest payback is to add your =
stiffness to the button and the connection of the button to the key.=20
=20
Super glue would penetrate the wood and the glue joint of the button. =
Keep it away from the bushing cloth, obviously.=20
=20
Dean
=20
Dean May             cell 812.239.3359