WD40 now Liquid wrench

D.L. Bullock dlbullock@att.net
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 23:10:42 -0500

I have not used WD40 in past but I would in the case of a flooded piano.  If
you find a piano sitting in a foot of water spray the wet area with it and
the water will run out.  A day or two later would be too late.  It works
that way on a pair of water-logged leather shoes as well.

I had the old guy who taught me to tune and rebuild that swore by Liquid
Wrench.  The old fashioned yellow can not the new teflon blue can.  This
yellow can is for removing rust and corrosion on bolts but he claimed to
have used it on honky tonk pianos for thirty years and other than the smell
there was no problem appeared.  He never had to go back and re-apply once
the sticky flanges loosened up the first time.  I have on rare occasion done
this and it does work.  Most of the time I am replacing flanges or whole
butts but it does come in handy in a pinch.

D.L. Bullock    St. Louis
www.thepianoworld.com