U1 hammer butt problem

Tom Driscoll tomtuner@comcast.net
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 22:41:09 -0400

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Pianotunaguy@aol.com
Sent: Wednesday, June 02, 2004 10:18 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: U1 hammer butt problem

I recently re-flanged my U1 due to bobbling hammers caused by the silk
thread which holds the hammer butt spring being broken on about half the
flanges.  Since that day, I have a new problem with the piano: the jack
gets caught under the hammer butt on rapidly repeated notes and blocks
the hammer to the strings.  This happens on about 10 to 15 hammers in
the middle of the keyboard.

I checked the backchecks and the hammers are checking at 5/8".  I
checked the lost motion and there was enough to allow the hammers to
move back with the hammer rail when pulled away from the strings.  There
is enough dip to allow the jack to letoff.

The piano does get a lot of use; I teach 15 students/week on that piano.
The piano is about 30 years old and these are the original butts.  So I
could imagine that the butts have finally worn to the point that there
is a dent or something catching the jack under the butt.  I thought the
next thing I would try is to apply Teflon powder to the butts.  (And
remove one and take a good look at one...)

But it seems unlikely that this problem didn't exist and then all of a
sudden 15 of them all develop this problem at the same time.  Am I
missing something?  Can anyone offer me some advice?

Thanks
PianoTunaGuy

           Mystery Man,

            Tell me your real name and I'll offer some suggestions-

            Never mind--- You didn't mention let off. If it's too close
blocking can occur on repeated blows as you describe. Also you don't
need that much lost motion.

            How much time did you take replacing all the flanges?
Traveling them of course as I'm sure you did, not to mention having to
retighten those flange screws and space hammers.

            This was my pet project while prepping quite a few U1, 2,
and 3's .in past years

            My post on replacing just the cords is in the archives.

            Tom Driscoll

            P.S. List etiquette suggests signing your real name, or are
you Toppers cousin?