consistent downbearing measurements

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Wed, 2 Jun 2004 17:53:48 EDT

     Greg
   Some techs do not rebuild but only use them to see if there is any
residual bearing left in the 90 year old almost flat or flat  board. Under those
conditions it's difficult to tell anything with the gauge because of the bridge
slope towards the rear & a sunken crown/bridge as well  One gets really funky
ideas of whats there &  not there if you know what I mean.
 As to your useage , yes of course this what they're for. I wasn't looking
for trick answers. It would be nice if the gauge were fashione from cast brass
or iron for a more solid seat on the string.
  Dale
Dale,
        Uh, I'm not sure what type of an answer your looking for here but
I'll take a stab at it. I'm needing to set plate height during the course of a
rebuild and check for down bearing during the course of evaluating a piano.
Isn't that what their for?

Greg