P12 in Tunelab Pro

Wed, 02 Jun 2004 19:27:08 +0200

Hi Dave

Ah yes... well the only one tossing a P12th tuning around on the list
these past couple years has been myself with my Tunelab rendering.
Bernhard has jumped in more recently and claims origin of  the idea, but
I rather think it predates him as well. No biggie really one way or the
other as I think its probably one of the more natural tendencies in
tuning to get 5th variants as quite as possible. More then likely there
have been folks doing more or less this kind of thing for quite some time.

The thing about insuring as pure a 12th as possible for the entire
tenor/treble region is that it takes over as the determinant for the
tuning, aligning octaves as a consequence, not directly.

Cheers
RicB

Ric,

Can't say as I learned one precisely. I got some advice from a mentor on
this list, used much of it, and it seems to work. But I was curious
where "it" originated(not realizing many different theories were being
tossed about...:-). I jumped into this discussion a little late, and
have since backtracked and read most of the posts. So I'm guilty of not
actually having followed the first part of the thread. My method--and I
blame nobody else-- 5ths and 12s as close to perfect as possible without
making the octaves unlistenable, particularly in the treble from g5 up..
I do it by ear, as in the end, it is judged by ears. Don't know where it
originated, but I am curious... I will try a P12 tuning and see how it
differs. I think what we're all after is a really an open, expansive
sound. I don't know how else to describe it. There seem to be many ways
to achieve this.

Dave Stahl