Hammer technique for 7' grands

Nichols nicho@zianet.com
Tue, 01 Jun 2004 10:34:47 -0600

Sherry,
     What size tip do you use? What is the angle of the head? Roughly what
position (o'clock) do you use for the tuning lever?
     These factors can make a difference. "Popping" strings are common with
some models, like the Baldwin, and can be reduced by using a number three
tip. I find the twenty degree head to be helpful, also, especially near
struts. The larger S&S grands I service seem to respond better to a pull
from the 2 to 3 o'clock position (facing the pins), and the Yomamas seem to
like a push, from the 8 to 11 o'clock. (for the Baldwins, anywhere you can
fit the 3 foot cheater bar, no? <G>)Could be just me, of course.
    Sounds like you did have more than your share for one day, though.
Life's entertainments.

Peace,
Guy