Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Calin Tantareanu dnu@fx.ro
Sun, 1 Aug 2004 00:26:57 +0300

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Richard Brekne=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2004 7:29 PM
  Subject: Re: Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

  Calin.=20

  I really dont see there is any physical impediment to making the =
surface area of the bridge wider so that a longer segment of the string =
comes in contact with the bridge anywhere along its length. Unless you =
are saying that the speaking length of the string required the front =
notch to be where it is, and the lack of  a dogleg then forces a shorter =
contact segment ?  That would make sense I suppose... so then, you are =
saying they did this to avoid using a dogleg in the bridge itself ?... =
Ok.. :) whats the benifit of avoiding the dogleg then ?

  Cheers
  RicB

That's exactly what I mean. They wanted to keep a constant bridge width, =
so they shortened the segments.
I can't really say if there's a benefit in avoiding doglegs, but I have =
noticed that the shape of the bridge base - was a constant preoccupation =
at Steinway. I have a model O where the bridge base has been undercut a =
lot along its length, not just only in the treble (where almost every =
manufacturer does it).
It looks though like they tried to give the bridge a certain footprint =
because they wanted it to touch the soundboard at particular places. =
Haven't really looked into this and since I'm leaving tomorrow for a =
month to Berlin, I will study my Steinway when I get back home.

 Calin Tantareanu
 http://calintantareanu.tripod.com