Tuning for violinists

Pianofxrguy@aol.com Pianofxrguy@aol.com
Sat, 31 Jul 2004 04:46:33 EDT

For the most part, tuning for more demanding musicians has been good, as  Tom
said. Although, I once had a violinist in the local symphony call me  back
after tuning her nondescript spinet to inform me that my "thirds" were all  off.
When I checked them out they sounded fine to me and then she pointed out
that there were beats in them. She said that when she played double stops  on her
violin the thirds had no beats. I tried to explain about the adjustment  to
intervals, expanding and contracting, about equal temperament (I hadn't heard
much about HT's, at the time, but I think that would have just complicated
things.), and how you can adjust on the fly while playing a violin but a piano
was stuck pretty much where it was. She was skeptical about my explanation and
I  never heard from her again.     Oh well....

John Stroup