Tuning for violinists

Thomas Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:56:40 -0700

Dave Stahl wrote:

> Dad, now a golfer in his spare time, grew up playing violin.  Inflated
> sense of aural ability.

Violinists sometimes will call for a very sharp treble, because that's
what they tend to do playing way up on the E string. Norm Neblett has
told the story about the time when he tuned for Jascha Heifetz who asked
that the last notes of the treble be tuned a half step sharp. Norm
confessed that he didn't know how to do that (This was in the days
before RCT!) and so offered Mr. Heifetz the tuning hammer and asked if
he could demonstrate. Mr. Heifetz declined the offer.

I'd rather tune for picky people, myself, than the person who says,
"Sounds the same to me. Oh, well, I guess it was time to be tooned".
It's picky people who have helped hone my tuning skills

I used to have a customer who would always call me back after I tuned to
fix one note. I could tell by which note she complained about that she
was just making me work for my wages. It would usually be one of the
nicer sounding notes.

Tom Cole