Hamamatsu Museum of Instruments

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 30 Jul 2004 19:04:14 EDT

Yes of course a C but I see soo few of those as for the infoto to be
lodgedin the  instant in the short term recall.
   But I did see one last week & it had this as well
 Dale

Hi  Dale.

This was not a D, at least I am pretty sure I remember this being  a C.  I
will make sure and double check when I go back for the masters  course in
October. I did check the two B's at the school and they were  different. The notch
width on the leading edge of the bridge in both cases was  very short compared
to the back edge in the diskant, and in the treble section  both widths were
about the same. Also both B's had no really obvious  difference in the width of
the section that comes in contact with the  strings.  But in this 1911 S&S in
the Museum the change in widths  both in how much of the bridge is in contact
with the bridge, and in the  widths of the notch sections was very obvious.
For some reason struck me as  something I hadnt seen (more probably... noticed)
before. Heres another shot  of the instrument.  They had another older
Steinway in primo shape as  well... a B I think from the late 1800's. I'll post a
couple shots later on  tonite.